Facial gua sha is a form of gentle massage, using a smooth object or stone. It was adapted from the traditional body gua sha massage technique used in Chinese Medicine.
While gua sha bodywork involves vigorous and deeper pressure that’s meant to increase blood flow and Chi to areas of the body in need of healing, facial gua sha uses a gentle but firm, slow pulling of the skin. This benefits the skin by moving lymph and increasing blood flow and blood volume. By manipulating subdermal fascia, it activates and promotes tissue healing. This helps to not only promote overall wellness by detoxifying, boosting the immune system and calming the nervous system, it also greatly improves the complexion! It can help clear the pores, firm and tone the skin, soften lines, lighten hyperpigmentation, and give the skin a radiant glow. With the face carrying over a third of the body’s lymphatic system, facial gua sha can be an incredibly effective tool to promote both overall well being and skin health. Some results are seen immediately while others develop over time with consistent gua sha practice.
The Numerous Benefits of Gua Sha
- Stimulate the lymphatic and circulatory systems and boost the immune system – Practicing gua sha regularly helps to move and renew fluids including blood and lymph. This improves circulation and clears stagnation. In Chinese Medicine, stagnation of lymph and blood flow or Chi can be the root of illness. It can also be the root of many skin conditions and signs of aging. The lymphatic system plays an important role in our immune function. It helps the body rid itself of toxins and moves white blood cells to where they are needed for fighting infection.
- Calm the nervous system – This gentle massage technique is exceptionally calming and soothing for our nervous system. When we are in a relaxed state, our immune function works more optimally and the body can naturally heal.
- Promote collagen production – Stimulating the lymphatic and circulatory systems through facial gua sha can help increase collagen production. This increased collagen helps to fill in wrinkles and plump the skin.
- Smooth fine lines and wrinkles – We often hold emotion and tension in our face. This can lead to tissue adhesions and cause lines and wrinkles. When we relax the face through gua sha massage and release tension and tissue adhesions, we can smooth out these lines and release the emotions and tension behind them. The stimulation of the circulatory systems increases blood flow and blood volume and opens up channels for chi flow which also aids in plumping fine lines and wrinkles.
- Lift and firm – This massage technique manipulates the fascia, muscles, and layers underneath the dermis which helps to contour and lift the skin.
- Reduce puffiness and enhance eye area – Puffiness is usually caused by fluid accumulation due to toxins, or excess salt in the body. Gua sha can help move and drain this excess fluid and help to move toxins out of the body. It is particularly helpful in depuffing the eye area. It can lift hooded lids so the eyes can open wider. Additionally, it helps release tension between the brows softening of any furrows.
- Lighten hyperpigmentation – By stimulating blood and lymph circulation, we are aiding the body to repair micro-wounds, scarring and hyperpigmentation
- Make skin glow – Moving the lymph and blood detoxifies and brings nutrients and oxygen to the skin, giving it a healthy natural glow and awakening dull skin.
Facial gua sha massage has countless benefits and is a beautiful and nurturing ritual for self-care.